Star Wars Girl Unleashed

Thursday, January 27, 2005

A Fishy Tale

Well, yesterday I decided that it was time to change the water in my double betta tank. Abend and Morgen were looking pretty unhappy. Their names come from German for morning and evening. I didn't use the word for night because its nuahct (my German spelling isn't the greatest, so pardon me if it's wrong) and I didn't really think that was a special enough name. But they got the names because a. everything I name after a Star Wars character dies so I didn't want to curse them. and b. one is pure white and the other is a deep purple. Back to cleaning the tank. I've begun just pouring old water out, keeping enough in for them to live and pouring new in. I repeat the process until the water is crystal clean. It seems to cause less stress on the fish than chasing them around with a scoop and praying they don't flop out on the sink. Also, Morgen is suicidal and the last fish that leaped out onto the dorm bathroom floor was poisoned by whatever they put on the floors to keep out pests. With a fish like Morgen it's just the smart way to clean a tank. It usually works without any problem, but yesterday just had to be different. Everything was going swimmingly, pun intended, and I was about to start adding more clean water to fill the tank when Morgen went nuts. He started swimming upside down and then leaping into the air hurling himself against the lid. Now I have seen this behavior before when I had an insanely large collection of bettas two years ago. One got some weird form of fin rot that went to its brain and made it do all kinds of weird things. The disease took half of my fish before I finally controlled it. But it took time for the disease to do that and Morgen hadn't exhibited any signs before(he had his fins). About five seconds later Abend started doing the same thing, hurling himself against the walls, the lid, swimming upside down. Then I saw condensation on the lid and realized it was way too hot. I started pouring in the cold water to even it out. I took about ten months off their lives, poor things. They're behaving more like themselves now, so I guess that's a good thing. They survived the night and all day today, so hopefully there wasn't too much damage done. And on a different note, doesn't the eharmony guy creep you out? He creeps me out. I don't know why. But would you really trust a guy that looks like that? It's like a guy who would lead a weird cult or something. I don't know, that's just my take on him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home